Monday, January 7, 2013

My Shadow Mission

         
             But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Matthew 6:33 

             In his book When The Game Is Over It All Goes Back In The Box, John Ortberg says, "Just as we all have a mission - a way of contributing to God's kingdom that we were designed and gifted for - we also have what might be called a shadow mission. My shadow mission is what I will do with my life if I drift on autopilot. It consists of the activities toward which I will gravitate if I allow my natural temptations and selfishness to take over. Everybody has a shadow mission."

             He goes on to give some examples. One is the rich fool in the Bible, whose shadow mission was to build bigger barns and lay up plenty of goods for the coming years. Another is Esther, whose shadow mission was to be "arm candy for the most powerful man on earth". What God had for her was much different - to save all of her people from slaughter. God's mission for us might not be to save an entire race from annihilation, but He has gifted all of us with different talents, strengths, and weaknesses to accomplish the mission He has prepared for us before we were even born. And it is probably not to go to work, come home, watch TV, surf the Internet and go to bed every day on autopilot. During this time of fasting and prayer, let's ask God to reveal to us what our real mission is and then let us listen and obey.

             "If a man hasn't discovered something that he will die for, he isn't fit to live." Martin Luther King Jr.

             Lord, help me not to get so caught up in my shadow mission that I do not fulfill Your mission for me. Help me to know the difference and to set my priorities. Help my becoming more like Christ be the top priority of each new day. Lord, the most important mission You gave me is to carry the name of Jesus always, everywhere I go. My gifts and talents I lay at Your feet to use for Your glory; reveal to me how to best use them for You.



No comments:

Post a Comment