Friday, January 11, 2013

Gravel and Stones




               For what I received I passed on to you as first importance: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, and that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures, and that he appeared to Cephas, and then to the Twelve. After that, he appeared to more than five hundred of the brothers and sisters at the same time most of whom are still living, though some have fallen asleep. I Corinthians 15:3-6



There is a visual aid that pastors and motivational speakers have used for years to emphasize the importance of setting priorities; it is the exercise consisting of a bucket or jar of gravel and stones. Gravel is meant to represent the small details in life, things we should do, like vacuuming the carpets, grocery shopping, or tearing down that old shed in the far end of the yard. Not unimportant things, just, the small details. Larger stones represent the important things in life: Time spent in the Word, prayer, relationships, etc…, whatever are the most important things in your life. 

   In this exercise, if you put the gravel in the jar first, there will not be enough room left for all of the large stones. But…if you put the large stones in first, not only will all of the large stones fit, but all of the gravel will spill around the large stones, filling in the empty spaces.

            Christ—believing Him, praising Him, striving to be like Him, telling others about Him—should be the largest stone in the “jar” of our lives; let everything else spill all around Him. He should be the first priority of the day, the first priority of our existence. Paul said, “For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance, that Christ died for our sins…” (verse 3). There is nothing in life more important than what He has done! No greater priority, no greater purpose for our lives.



Lord Jesus, I make You my priority! Help me not to put the gravel in first! I place You in my life first. I repent of not making You first in my life. Change my heart, oh God! And renew a right Spirit within me.


No comments:

Post a Comment