Wednesday, January 2, 2013

His Movement Toward Us


In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning. Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. John 1:1-3

The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth. John 1:14



Yesterday we considered whether the first sentence of our lives would be “in the beginning me” or “in the beginning God”. This choice directs the course of our lives. The question is, "How do I get to the place where my life paradigm is "in the beginning God?"

In the beginning God reminds us that the core issue is not our movement toward God, but His movement toward us. This first sentence of the Bible reminds us that God's initiative is the source and definition of everything, and when this becomes the first sentence of my life I realize that the core issue of life is not about what I do, but what He does. For example, 1 John 4:19 reminds is that "We love because He first loved us."

Which is why today we read John 1:1-3, 14. This passage makes it clear that the Word, Jesus, is the Eternal Creator God of Genesis 1:1. And He became flesh and dwelt among us. This is the initiating work of God that brings us into the family of God and re-orients our lives from "in the beginning me" to "in the beginning God" (1 Corinthians 5:17). When we receive Jesus, lean entirely upon Him to make us right with God, we become children of God (John 1:12). The start to becoming an "in the beginning God" person is a life defined by receiving and revolving around Jesus. His initiative—His incarnation—alone brings the God of Genesis 1:1 to us, and re-writes the first sentence of our lives.

Lord, Jesus was the only complete and perfect "in the beginning God" Person who ever lived. I am a believer in Jesus. Through His Spirit and His example I ask for help in following Him in this realigning of my life. Thank you for sending Jesus so I can know You and become the "in the beginning God" person you made me to be.


No comments:

Post a Comment